Saturday, October 10, 2009

Roller Coaster of Love

"Love Rollercoaster" is a song by The Ohio Players. The song was a hit upon its initial release, reaching the top of both the R&B and pop charts. The song uses the roller coaster, a common theme park attraction, as a metaphor for the ups and downs of dating and romantic relationships.” I am not surprised that one year after my divorce that my rollercoaster of emotions has left me on a rollercoaster ride of weight change. It is time to stop climbing and head down hill and eventually get off this ride.

My background in psychology tells me that although what I have experienced is more commonly expressed in women, it is a human reaction. Let me summarize my weight versus my emotions in this manner: encountering unexpected internal conflict can prevent weight loss. Losing weight is just as much about emotions as it is about diet and exercise. Without being aware, I had turned to food to bury my emotions. It was my way of avoiding the negative feelings. Only within the last two months, and with the help of my Life Group (www.lifechurch.tv) was I willing to experience the emotions and diffuse them. Once I was honest with myself I became ready to move forward without using food for comfort.

For many of us guys (and perhaps even more for us Black guys) we need to learn to face problems head-on instead of internalizing.

So this blog is my facing things head on. It is my own behavior therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment