Friday, November 27, 2009

More than "Stayin' Alive" is "Being" Alive

"Stayin' Alive" is a song by the pop group Bee Gees was released on December 13, 1977 as the second single from the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack. This was a day after my High School won the Colorado State Football Championship. By February 4th it hit the number one spot on the Billboard Hot 100. Consequently it became the band's most recognizable tune.
All I have been doing is staying alive at 194 lbs the last two weeks. That is not acceptable for myself. To combat this I will purchase a treadmill. It goes against conventional wisdom, but this single fat black guy knows what he will do. I have also been doing research and found that too often, treadmills seduce you into cranking up the speed or incline beyond what is comfortable to manage. If you're supporting your body weight by an object, you're using less personal energy to ambulate forward, therefore using less muscle and fewer calories.
Interestingly enough, I have been supporting my emotional weight with multiple things. It has taken less personal energy in healing therefore less ambulation forward. I want more than just “Stayin’ Alive” and my God has more in store for me. So, I need to say good-bye to emotional and hello to purchasing a treadmill. Hey, today is Black Friday. Cannot think of a better day.

No comments:

Post a Comment