Monday, July 19, 2010

Even a Wrecked Life Can Rise Again.

In 1974 Gordon Lightfoot released a song titled “Sundown”. It arguably is his most popular. Although not known at the time when it reached number one on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100, the song was about a dark period in his life. To his credit, after the sun went down on him, he recovered and emerged back on top writing other great ballads. “Carefree Highway” (1974), “Rainy Day People” (1975), and my personal favorite, “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald” (1976). This 1976 classic song was a direct reflection of my personal “love life” during my high school days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgI8bta-7aw

35 years later, I am in a place where my personal relationships are in a place of recovery; this wreck is coming up off the bottom of the lake. What changed? The sun finally set (divorce). I hit the bottom of the lake. I decided that I could either stay down here or push off the bottom and swim my way up. So I pushed, and someone who knows this wreck is helping me kick. Another change, I weigh less than 190 pounds for the first time in over a year. Perhaps being lighter makes the swim to the surface a bit easier. As I swim for the surface I will remain single... and Black (smile). But when I emerge, I will not be fat. If you are on bottom perhaps its time to push off? Consider what sunk you, and how you can raise your own ship, then start kicking!

No comments:

Post a Comment